Saturday, March 31, 2012

Buckskins I Have Known

"Heads Up #21 6 x 6" Original Oil
© Trish Stevenson

Although I have many, many favorite colors when it comes to horses, I'd have to say that a deep golden buckskin like this one would be in my top ten. We had a buckskin named Joker when we were growing up which we bought as a scrawny 3 year old. His former owners said he loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! He was a bit of a trickster and difficult to catch, but he turned out to be a pretty nice horse. My grandpa also had a buckskin pony named "Buck" - (original, I know). When Buck got tired of us kids riding her, she would stop, put one foreleg out and kneel with the other one and start to roll over till we had to jump off or get squished!
My partner, Charley had a "sooty" buckskin who was absolutely untameable even though she was raised and trained like all his other horses. I guess she just wanted to stay wild as the wind. 

3 comments:

  1. Another beauty, Trish. Your work is an inspiration to me. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunns and buckskins are my fave too. I like when they get those black stripes on their legs and the black dorsal stripe down their backs. Now I want to go paint one!

    ReplyDelete